Pear and chocolate Sorbet,
This sorbet is inspired by Auguste Escoffier’s famous frozen dessert, the Poire Belle Hélène… I love the pairing of pear with chocolate… Please promise me you are not not going to use canned pears for this sorbet!! You must choose good fresh pears, let them ripe peacefully and then poach them in a delicious syrup infused with spices: vanilla, star anis, cardamom, cinnamon… Then, use a very good chocolate, such as Valrhona, it makes a big difference…
Through this video, I also wanted to show you how to add toppings in an ice cream (or sorbet) with the Ninja Creami. I am really conquered by this appliance… Since I bought it I am making ice creams, gelatos and sorbet all the time… Pure happiness in a house full of gourmands!
To add thin chocolate pieces, I have an ultra-fast technique: melt the chocolate in the microwave oven and then pour it into a ziplock bag. Close the bag, leaving a tiny space so that the air can escape and then spread the chocolate with a spatula. Store the chocolate on a cutting board in the refrigerator. Once hardened, you just have to break small pieces. It’s much better than using chocolate chips…
For the syrup:
500 g of water
100 g of sugar
Spices: 1 vanilla bean, a stick or a pinch of cinnamon, 1 or two star anise seeds and 2 cardamom pods
3 beautiful pears
30 g of chocolate (Manjari or Guanaja from Valrhona for instance)
1. Pour the sugar, water and spices into a saucepan and heat until the syrup begins to simmer.
2. Place the peeled pears in the syrup, they must be well covered with syrup. Cover with the lid and gently let the pears poach for ten minutes in the simmering syrup.
3. Let cool and then store the pears in their syrup in the refrigerator.
4. Melt the chocolate in the microwave oven and then pour it into a ziplock bag. Close the bag leaving a small space so that the air can escape and then spread the chocolate with a spatula. Store the chocolate flat on a cutting board in the refrigerator. Once hardened, you just have to break small pieces.
5. Cut the pears into small pieces and place them in the Ninja pot. Cover with the syrup up to the line. Store in the freezer for 24 hours.
6. The next day, use the sorbet program and if necessary the Re Spin program.
7. Form a well in the pot and drop there the chocolate broken into small pieces. Turn on the Add in program.
8. Serve as it is or with a poached pear and some caramelized nuts for instance…
Amazon Affiliate Links:
NINJA CREAMI: https://amzn.to/3OGPM3R
VITAMIX Venturist 1200 Grey: https://amzn.to/3vdyMeA
VITAMIX Hand Blender: https://amzn.to/3PJnffx
Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop: https://amzn.to/3A77XdO
Zeroll Gelato Spade: https://amzn.to/3PARZhQ